Monday, December 17, 2012

Am I Peter Pan?

I always loved being the baby in the family mainly because I liked the attention. When I got sick, I liked when my mommy would come check on me... I still like that, especially when I get the flu. Being an only child, looking back, was the only way that I could have probably functioned properly. In any case, as I grew older, I still wanted to be the baby. Not in the "wear the diapers and drink from a bottle" sense but with my mom doting on me. I think even if my parents had not gotten divorced, I'd still have this complex. There's a part in "Overboard" where Katherine Helmond said to her daughter, played by Goldie Hawn that if she had a baby then she wouldn't be the baby. That's exactly how I feel!!! For a while, I thought that I was just like Peter Pan and wanted to be young forever. Thanks to plastic surgery, that is entirely possible. But as I approach 30, I see more and more of my friends getting married and having babies. I also see myself having to up my anti-depressants. Look, I could have been a wife and a mother by now, if that was what I truly had wanted but that was not my path. Instead, I chose to find my passions and focus on developing myself creatively. Yeah, I'd like to get married one day but I still feel like I'm 20 and too young. As far as babies, I don't know if that's the path for me either. After all, today, I asked my boyfriend for a pet tiger; not very practical if you want children in the near future. So who am I? Am I suffering from a Peter Pan complex? Am I a lost "boy?" Or am I just a regular twenty-something girl trying to put the pieces of a confusing puzzle together? Ponder that...

No comments:

Post a Comment