Friday, December 14, 2012

Does This Make Me Old?

When I was 14, I pierced my own belly button. When I was 15, I pierced my own eyebrow. The entire time I was in high school, I wanted to get my lower lip pierced. I had countless ear holes and a tattoo at 17; all perfectly normal behavior in my mind. Last night, I read a Facebook post by a 14 year old girl whose parents have agreed to let her get her tongue pierced over the weekend. Then I see that she is piercing her own lower belly button because she has the needle. We did not use needles back in my day because safety pins worked just as well; I digress. When I saw this, I immediately thought "what parent in their right mind would day 'yes' to their barely teen child getting their tongue pierced? Want to pierce your ears like crazy, that's fine. Want to go get a belly piercing? That's fine as long as an adult takes you to a reputable place. But a tongue ring at 14? What impression does that give to her peers? Then, I stopped and thought "wow, I sound like an old woman judging this young girl." But I saw the key word: young...RED FLAG. So, when piercings become something that only people 16+ get, does that mean that you are getting old in the way you think or possibly wiser.

*When I was in high school, my dad said if I ever got my tongue pierced, he'd never talk to me again. I waited until I was 24...

No comments:

Post a Comment